IRS Tax Extension Form 4868 (Individuals)

If You Cannot File Your Taxes on Time, IRS Form 4868 is an Application to Get a 6-Month Extension on Your Tax Filing.

Will you be ready to file your annual Federal income tax return by the proper deadline (typically April 15)? If not, an automatic extension of time for filing taxes can be obtained, giving you 6 additional months to get your paperwork in order. To obtain this automatic extension, you will need to submit Tax Form 4868 to the IRS by the original filing deadline of your return (April 15).

Tax Form 4868 is designed for individuals who are required to report their personal income to IRS. It covers 1040 filers — including Tax Forms 1040, 1040A, 1040NR, 1040EZ, 1040NR-EZ, 1040-PR, and 1040-SS — 1099 independent contractors, Schedule C (Form 1040) sole proprietors, and single-member limited liability companies (LLCs). If you are looking for a personal tax extension, Form 4868 will extend your tax-filing deadline from April 15 to October 15.

However, you need to remember that the extension is only for filing your tax return and is not applicable to the payment of your taxes. You will still have to make your annual tax payment to the IRS by the original deadline (April 15) to avoid penalties. This means you’ll need to provide an estimate of the tax you owe when you request an extension. At, you can pay your taxes with your extension. You can pay all, some, or none of your estimated tax via direct withdrawal from your bank account using EFW (Electronic Funds Withdrawal) when you e-file your tax extension. But even if you cannot pay any of your tax due, you can still get a tax extension.

If you made an error on your tax extension application, there is a timeframe in which the IRS allows you to make corrections. Even better, if you use to e-file Form 4868 and (for whatever reason) your tax extension request is denied, you can fix the mistakes and resubmit your application at no additional charge! supports taxpayers who have foreign addresses and are located outside the United States. Even so, there are some exceptions when it comes to certain partnerships and domestic corporations, as well as foreign corporations that don’t have a U.S. office.

Want a Faster Way to File Your Tax Extension?

eFile your federal Personal or Business Extension in just 5 Minutes! The eFile process includes 24/7 live support and immediate IRS approval. Start today and be done in minutes.