North Dakota

State of North Dakota Personal Income Tax Extensions

E-file an IRS personal tax extension with

eFile a Personal Federal Tax Extension

IRS Form 4868


Now only $29.95

General Instructions

North Dakota individual income tax returns are due by the 15th day of the 4th month following the end of the tax year. For calendar year filers, this date is usually April 15. If you cannot file on time, you can get a North Dakota tax extension.

There are 2 ways to obtain a North Dakota personal extension:

• File a Federal tax extension (IRS Form 4868)

• File a North Dakota tax extension (Form 101)

If you obtain a Federal extension, the State of North Dakota will automatically grant you a corresponding state tax extension. You do not have to submit a separate North Dakota application. If you have a valid Federal extension, the deadline for your North Dakota return will be extended for the same amount of time as your Federal return (6 months), which moves the filing date to October 15.

If you don’t have a Federal extension, you can apply for a state extension using North Dakota Form 101 (Application for Extension of Time to File a North Dakota Tax Return). You are required to provide “good cause” for requesting a North Dakota tax extension. Remember to file Form 101 by the original due date of your return (April 15). The North Dakota State Tax Commissioner will notify you if your extension is approved or denied.

A tax extension does not give you more time to pay, only to file. Your North Dakota tax balance must be paid by the original deadline (April 15) or interest and penalties will apply. You can make a state extension payment using Form ND-1EXT (Individual Extension Payment), or you can pay electronically via the North Dakota Tax Payment system:

For more information, please visit the North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner website:

North Dakota State Income Tax Payment Forms


Form 101 (Application for Extension of Time to File a North Dakota Tax Return): Call the ND State Tax Commissioner Office at (701) 328-1243 to request a copy of this form


Form ND-1EXT (Individual Extension Payment):


Mail Form ND-1EXT with payment to the following address:

Office of State Tax Commissioner

P.O. Box 5622

Bismarck, ND  58506-5622