State of Michigan Personal Income Tax Extensions

E-file an IRS personal tax extension with TaxExtension.com

File Only a State Tax Extension

$5.95 for a State Tax Extension PDF

eFile a Personal Federal Tax Extension

IRS Form 4868


Now only $29.95

Your State Extension PDF Form is FREE

General Instructions

Michigan personal income tax returns are due by April 15, in most years. If you cannot file by that date, you can request a state tax extension. To apply for a Michigan personal extension, you must file Michigan Form 4 or a copy of your valid Federal tax extension (IRS Form 4868).

The State of Michigan recognizes a properly filed Federal tax extension. Therefore, if you have a valid Federal extension, you will automatically be granted a Michigan tax extension. This will extend the filing due date for your Michigan return to the same extended deadline as your Federal return (October 15 for calendar year taxpayers). If you do not have a Federal extension and you owe state tax, you can request a Michigan tax extension using Form 4 (Application for Extension of Time to File Michigan Tax Returns).

Remember, a tax extension does not give you more time to pay. Your Michigan tax liability must still be paid by the original deadline (April 15) to avoid penalties and interest. If you owe a state tax balance, you can make an extension payment with Form 4. However, you do not need to file Form 4 if you owe zero Michigan tax or you’re due a state tax refund.

For more information, please visit the Michigan Department of Treasury website: www.michigan.gov/taxes

Michigan State Income Tax Payment Forms

Form 4 (Application for Extension of Time to File Michigan Tax Returns)

Mail with payment to the following address:

Michigan Department of Treasury

P.O. Box 30774

Lansing, MI  48909-8274