State of Maryland Personal Income Tax Extensions

E-file an IRS personal tax extension with

File Only a State Tax Extension

$5.95 for a State Tax Extension PDF

eFile a Personal Federal Tax Extension

IRS Form 4868


Now only $29.95

Your State Extension PDF Form is FREE

General Instructions

Maryland personal income tax returns are due by the 15th day of the 4th month following the close of the tax year. For calendar year taxpayers, this date is April 15. If you cannot file on time, you can get a Maryland tax extension.

Remember that a tax extension only gives your more time to file, not to pay. Your Maryland tax balance must be paid by the original deadline (April 15) or penalties will be charged.

If you owe zero Maryland tax and you have a valid Federal tax extension (IRS Form 4868), you will automatically be granted a 6-month state extension. If you owe zero Maryland tax but don’t have a Federal extension, you can request a state extension electronically using the iFile Maryland system or by calling one of the following phone numbers:

• 410-260-7829 (from Central Maryland)

• Toll-free 1-800-260-3664 (from elsewhere)

On the other hand, if you have a Maryland tax balance, you can make an extension payment with Form 502E (Application for Extension to File Personal Income Tax Return). Payments can also be made online if you electronically filed your extension request via iFile Maryland (see above link).

If you’re unsure whether you owe a state tax balance, use the Tax Payment Worksheet on Form 502E. Do not file Form 502E if no tax is due with your Maryland extension.

For more information, please visit the Comptroller of Maryland Taxes website:

Maryland State Income Tax Payment Forms

Form 502E (Application for Extension to File Personal Income Tax Return)

Mail with payment to the following address:

Comptroller of Maryland

Revenue Administration Division

110 Carroll Street

Annapolis, Maryland  21411-0001